The following portable meters use an amperometric (two-electrode) technology to measure conductivity. With this technology the ranges are limited to either a low or high range version. A variety of pH/EC portable meters are available including application specific versions for water treatment, agriculture, and hydroponics. Also included in this category is a portable with a pH/ORP probe.
Multiparameter portable meters have the ability to measure multiple parameters including pH, ORP, dissolved oxygen, conductivity, turbidity, temperature, pressure, and specific ions with the use of either chloride, ammonium or nitrate ISE.
The multiparameter meters can be broken down into three main categories.
- pH and EC meters that use an amperometric probe
- Multiparameter meters that include pH and EC meters that use an potentiometric probe
- Portable meters that measure a single parameter but can be upgraded to measure another parameter
Many meters that measure conductivity allow other units to be displayed including Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), resistivity, and salinity.
Portable pH/ISE meters are available in multiple designs and features. The portables include versions with BNC connectors for ISEs and are available with direct concentration readout or those that use the mV scale. The portable with direct ion concentration readout features:
- ISE's ion weight and charge pre-programmed for Molarity measurements
- Up to five-point calibration with 6 pre-programmed standards
- Concentration readout as ppm, ppt, g/L, ppb, μg/L, mg/mL, M, mol/L, mmol/L, % w/v, and user defined
Portable EC/TDS/Salinity meters are available in multiple designs and features.
The following portable meters use the potentiometric (four ring) version of probes. This technology allows for a wide range of measurement using a single probe. Portable meters available include versions with manual calibration and manual selection of ranges and versions with automatic calibration and automatic range selection. Portables are available with multiple measuring modes including EC, TDS, salinity, and resistivity. Meters include both those with automatic calibration and others with manual calibration using trimmers.
Dissolved oxygen portable meters are available with either Clark-Type Polarograhic, Galvanic and Optical technologies. Each has their benefits with regards to measurement and maintenance. Portable DO meters are available with automatic or manual calibration, automatic or manual input altitude (barometric pressure) compensation and manual input of salinity for compensation. Meters are available with built-in BOD algorithm for calculating the BOD after two measurements, taken 5 days apart, are made.
- Clark-Type Polarograhic, Galvanic, and Optical technologies
- Automatic or Manual Calibration
- Meters with Barometric Pressure Sensor