Portable Total Hardness Photometer with CAL Check - HI97735
HI97735 is an advanced portable photometer for the measurement of total hardness in water up to 750 mg/L (ppm). This meter has a superior optical system that utilizes a reference detector and narrow band interference filters for extremely fast and repeatable measurements.
- No warm up time before taking a measurement
- Tutorial mode for step-by-step instructions
- CAL Check for performance verification and calibration
By passing through various layers of soil and rocks, rain water dissolves some mineral substances. Total harness is indicative of the presence of calcium and magnesium in water. High levels of hardness can cause scaling reducing the efficiency of heat transfer in cooling towers. Hardness also increases the consumption of soaps and detergents in industrial washing machines or laundries. The HI97735 uses an adaptation of EPA recommended method 130.1. When the reagent is added to a sample containing magnesium and calcium, the sample will turn a red-violet hue; the greater the concentration, the deeper the color. HI97735 is an advanced portable photometer for the measurement of total hardness in water samples in the within low, medium, and high range. The low range measures from 0 to 250 mg/L CaCO3, the medium range measures from 200 to 500 mg/L CaCO3, and the high range measures from 400 to 750 mg/L CaCO3.
The HI97735 has an innovative optical system that offers superior performance in accuracy, repeatability, and the short amount of time it takes to perform a measurement. This compact, waterproof meter is extremely user friendly with a tutorial mode that walks the user graphically, step by step, in performing a measurement. The use of a backlit dot matrix LED allows the use of virtual keys which makes the operation of the meter very intuitive including selecting different units of measure, reviewing GLP data, recalling the last 50 measurements, and customizing the meter to user preferences.
HI97735 is completely waterproof including the cuvette holder that is designed with ridges to protect the optical path from getting scratched by the cuvette and a gasketed battery compartment that holds three common AA batteries. The compact design fits comfortable in the hand for use in the field or on a table for benchtop use. The LCD is 71 mm (2.75") by 37 mm (1.6") and is backlit for easy viewing under all conditions.
- LED that generates very little heat
- 8 nm narrowband interference filter that is accurate to +/- 1 nm and offers 25% increase in light efficiency.
- Reference detector that modulates the voltage to LED for consistent light output.
- A concave focusing lens that reduces errors from imperfections in the cuvette
Stable Light Source:
- The internal reference system of the HI97735 photometer compensates for any drifts due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. With a stable source of light the readings are fast and stable between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement..
High Efficiency Light Source:
- LED light sources offer superior performance compared to tungsten lamps. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce little heat, which could otherwise affect electronic stability.
High Quality Filters:
- Improved optical filters ensure greater wavelength accuracy and allow a brighter, stronger signal to be received. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
Greater Light Yield:
A focusing lens collects all of the light that exits the cuvette, eliminating errors from imperfections and scratches that may be present in the glass. The use of the convex lens reduces the need for indexing cuvettes..
CAL Check Functionality:
- Hanna’s exclusive CAL Check feature allows for performance verification and calibration of the meter using NIST traceable standards. Our CAL Check standard vials are developed to simulate a specific absorbance value at each wavelength to verify the accuracy of subsequent readings.
- Users can select the unit of measure displayed as mg/L CaCO3, French degrees (°f), German degrees (°dH), or English degrees (°E).
Built-in Reaction Timer:
Waiting the proper reaction time is of key importance when performing colorimetric measurements. The countdown timer displays the time remaining until a measurement will be taken, ensuring consistent results between sample measurements and users.
Large Cuvette Size:
- The sample cell of the HI97735 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
Intuitive Dot Matrix Display:
- The HI97735 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation, and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
The meter uses three common AA batteries that allow for about 800 measurements to be taken. The auto-off feature automatically shuts off the meter after 15 minutes of inactivity in order conserve battery life.
|Hardness, Total Range||low range: 0 to 250 mg/L (as CaCO3)
medium range: 200 to 500 mg/L (as CaCO3)
high range: 400 to 750 mg/L (as CaCO3)
|Hardness, Total Resolution||1 mg/L|
|Hardness, Total Accuracy||low range: ±5 mg/L ±4% of reading at 25 °C
medium range: ±7 mg/L ±3% of reading at 25 °C
high range: ±10 mg/L ±2% of reading at 25 °C
|Hardness, Total Method||adaptation of the EPA Recommended Method 130.1|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Source||LED with 466 nm bandpass filter|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector||silicon photocell|
|Bandpass Filter Bandwidth||8 nm|
|Bandpass Filter Wavelength Accuracy||±1.0 nm|
|Cuvette Type||round 24.6 mm diameter (22 mm inside)|
|Display||128 x 64 pixel B/W LCD with backlight|
|Logging Memory||50 readings|
|Battery Type/Life||1.5 V AA Alkaline (3 pcs.) / > 800 measurements (without backlight)|
|Environment||0 to 50 °C (32 to 122 °F); max. 95% RH non-condensing|
|Weight||380 g (13.4 oz.)|
|Dimensions||142.5 x 102.5 x 50.5 mm (5.6 x 4.0 x 2.0")|
|Ordering Information||HI97735C (kit) is supplied with CAL Check standards, cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvette, (2), scissors, cuvette cleaning cloth, 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate packaged in a rugged, thermoformed carrying case.
HI97735 (meter only) is supplied with cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvettes (2), 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate.