Iodine Portable Photometer with CAL Check - HI97718
HI97718 is an advanced portable photometer for the measurement of iodine in water. This meter offers a superior optical system that utilizes a reference detector and narrow band interference filters for extremely fast and repeatable measurements.
- No warm up time before taking a measurement
- Tutorial mode for step-by-step instructions
- CAL Check to verify meter performance
The disinfectant properties of iodine have led to its use as an alternative to chlorine and bromine. Unlike chlorinated pools, water treated with iodine decreases eye irritation among swimmers and provides a level of disinfection more stable to adverse conditions. However, its toxic and corrosive properties, and the difficulties of dissolving it in water have limited its widespread acceptance. One of the most common applications of iodine is in poultry industry process water.
The HI97718 uses an adaptation of the Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 23rd Edition, DPD method to measure iodine concentrations up to 12.5 mg/L (ppm). When added to a sample containing iodine, the DPD reagent will react to turn the sample a pink hue; the greater the concentration, the deeper the color. The associated color change is colorimetrically analyzed according to the Beer-Lambert Law. This principle states that light is absorbed by a complementary color, and the emitted radiation is dependent upon concentration. For iodine, a narrow band interference filter at 525 nm allows only green light to be emitted and passed through the sample cuvette. As the change in color of the reacted sample increases, the absorbance of the specific wavelength of light also increases, while transmittance decreases.
- LED that generates very little heat.
- 8 nm narrowband interference filter that is accurate to +/- 1 nm.
- Reference detector that modulates the voltage to LED for consistent light output.
- A concave focusing lens that reduces errors from imperfections in the cuvette.
Advanced features including CAL-Check to verify performance and if necessary, recalibrate.
Backlit dot matrix LCD that offers an exceptionally intuitive user interface that is easy to read and understand.
Tutorial mode for step-by-step instructions to guide a first-time user in how to perform a measurement correctly.
Built-in reaction timer that ensures consistency amongst multiple users.
Stable Light Source:
- The internal reference system of the HI97718 photometer compensates for any drifts due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. With a stable source of light the readings are fast and stable between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement.
High Efficiency Light Source:
- LED light sources offer superior performance compared to tungsten lamps. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce little heat, which could otherwise affect electronic stability.
High Quality Filters:
- Improved optical filters ensure greater wavelength accuracy and allow a brighter, stronger signal to be received. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
Greater Light Yield:
A focusing lens collects all of the light that exits the cuvette, eliminating errors from imperfections and scratches that may be present in the glass. The use of the convex lens reduces the need for indexing cuvettes.
CAL Check Functionality:
- Hanna’s exclusive CAL Check feature allows for performance verification and calibration of the meter using NIST traceable standards. Our CAL Check standard vials are developed to simulate a specific absorbance value at each wavelength to verify the accuracy of subsequent readings.
Large Cuvette Size:
- The sample cell of the HI97718 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
Intuitive Dot Matrix Display:
- The HI97718 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation, and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
- The meter uses three common AA batteries that allow for about 800 measurements to be taken. The auto-off feature automatically shuts off the meter after 15 minutes of inactivity in order conserve battery life.
|Product Name||Iodine Portable Photometer with CAL Check - HI97718|
|Iodine Range||0.0 to 12.5 mg/L (as I2)|
|Iodine Resolution||0.1 mg/L|
|Iodine Accuracy||±0.1 mg/L ±5% of reading at 25°C|
|Iodine Method||adaptation of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 23rd Edition, DPD Method|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Source||LED with 525 nm bandpass filter|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector||silicon photocell|
|Bandpass Filter Bandwidth||8 nm|
|Bandpass Filter Wavelength Accuracy||±1.0 nm|
|Cuvette Type||round 24.6 mm diameter (22 mm inside)|
|Display||128 x 64 pixel B/W LCD with backlight|
|Logging Memory||50 readings|
|Battery Type/Life||1.5 V AA Alkaline (3 pcs.) / > 800 measurements (without backlight)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after 15 minutes of inactivity (30 minutes before a READ measurement)|
|Environment||0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F); 0 to 100% RH (IP67)|
|Weight||380 g (13.4 oz.)|
|Dimensions||142.5 x 102.5 x 50.5 mm (5.6 x 4.0 x 2.0")|
|Ordering Information||HI97723C is supplied with CAL Check standards, cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvette, (2), scissors, cuvette cleaning cloth, 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate packaged in a rugged, thermoformed, carrying case.
iris Visible Spectrophotometer - HI801CA$3,640.00