Iron and Manganese Low-Range Portable Photometer with CAL Check - HI97742
HI97742 is an advanced portable photometer for the measurement of low levels of iron and manganese in water. This meter offers a superior optical system that utilizes a reference detector and narrow band interference filters for extremely fast and repeatable measurements.
- No warm up time before taking a measurement
- Tutorial mode for step-by-step instructions
- CAL Check to verify meter performance
Iron is naturally present in water in low concentrations, but it reaches high concentrations in wastewater effluents. The iron concentration in water needs to be monitored because it becomes harmful above certain levels. In domestic water, for instance, iron can unpleasantly alter the taste, stain laundry, damage kitchenware and favor the growth of certain bacteria. Iron is also an indicator of ongoing corrosion in water-cooling and heating systems. Moreover, iron is normally monitored in mining wastewater to avoid contamination. Manganese is one of the most common metals present in nature and is used in many industrial applications, for example, the production of fertilizers and in the pharmaceutical industry. Manganese salts are also used in iron alloys (steel manufacturing) and non-iron alloys as it improves their corrosion resistance and hardness. Manganese, in high concentrations, can produce corrosion and scaling in pipes, which is a serious industrial concern.
The HI97742 offers multiple methods within one meter. Iron determination uses an adaptation of the TPTZ method and manganese determination uses an adaptation of the 1-(2-pyridylazo)-2-naphthol PAN method. The reagents are in powder and liquid form depending on the parameter being tested.
When the appropriate reagent is added to the sample, it will display a color change; the greater the concentration, the deeper the color. The associated color change is then colorimetrically analyzed according to the Beer-Lambert Law. This principle states that light is absorbed by a complementary color, and the emitted radiation is dependent upon concentration. For determination of low range iron and manganese, a narrow band interference filter at 525 nm allows only green light to be detected by the silicon photodetector and omits all other visible light emitted from the LED. As the change in color of the reacted sample increases, absorbance of the specific wavelength of light also increases, while transmittance decreases.
The HI97742 has an innovative optical system that offers superior performance in accuracy, repeatability, and the short amount of time it takes to perform a measurement. This compact, waterproof meter is extremely user friendly with a tutorial mode that walks the user graphically, step by step, in performing a measurement. The use of a backlit dot matrix LCD allows the use of virtual keys which makes the operation of the meter very intuitive including selecting different units of measure, reviewing GLP data, recalling the last 50 measurements, and customizing the meter to user preferences.
HI97742 is completely waterproof including the cuvette holder that is designed with ridges to protect the optical path from getting scratched by the cuvette and a gasketed battery compartment that holds three common AA batteries. The compact design fits comfortably in the hand for use in the field or on a table for benchtop use. The LCD is backlit for easy viewing under all conditions.
- LED that generates very little heat
- 8 nm narrowband interference filter that is accurate to +/- 1 nm.
- Reference detector that modulates the voltage to LED for consistent light output.
- A concave focusing lens that reduces errors from imperfections in the cuvette.
Advanced features including CAL-Check to verify performance and if necessary, recalibrate.
Setup options for meter personalization include date and time format, language, and enabling the tutorial mode.
Multiple Chemcial Forms
Display hardenss results in choice of chemcial forms.
Tutorial mode for step-by-step instructions to guide a first-time user in how to perform a measurement correctly.
Built-in reaction timer that ensures consistency amongst multiple users.
Stable Light Source:
- The internal reference system of the HI97742 photometer compensates for any drifts due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. With a stable source of light the readings are fast and stable between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement.
High Efficiency Light Source:
- LED light sources offer superior performance compared to tungsten lamps. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce little heat, which could otherwise affect electronic stability.
High Quality Filters:
- Improved optical filters ensure greater wavelength accuracy and allow a brighter, stronger signal to be received. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
Greater Light Yield:
A focusing lens collects all of the light that exits the cuvette, eliminating errors from imperfections and scratches that may be present in the glass. The use of the convex lens reduces the need for indexing cuvettes.
CAL Check Functionality:
- Hanna’s exclusive CAL Check feature allows for performance verification and calibration of the meter using NIST traceable standards. Our CAL Check standard vials are developed to simulate a specific absorbance value at each wavelength to verify the accuracy of subsequent readings.
Large Cuvette Size:
- The sample cell of the HI97742 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
Intuitive Dot Matrix Display:
- The HI97742 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation, and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
- The meter uses three common AA batteries that allow for about 800 measurements to be taken. The auto-off feature automatically shuts off the meter after 15 minutes of inactivity in order conserve battery life.
|Product Name||Iron and Manganese Low-Range Portable Photometer with CAL Check - HI97742|
|Iron Range||0.00 to 1.60 mg/L (as Fe)|
|Iron Resolution||0.01 mg/L|
|Iron Accuracy||±0.01 mg/L ±8% of reading at 25°C|
|Iron Method||Adaptation of the TPTZ Method|
|Manganese Range||0 to 300 μg/L (as Mn)|
|Manganese Resolution||1 μg/L|
|Manganese Accuracy||±10 μg/L ±3% of reading at 25°C|
|Manganese Method||Adaptation of the 1-(2-Pyridylazo)-2-Naphthol PAN Method|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Source||LED with 575 nm bandpass filter|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector||silicon photocell|
|Bandpass Filter Bandwidth||8 nm|
|Bandpass Filter Wavelength Accuracy||±1.0 nm|
|Cuvette Type||round 24.6 mm diameter (22 mm inside)|
|Display||128 x 64 pixel B/W LCD with backlight|
|Logging Memory||50 readings|
|Battery Type/Life||1.5 V AA Alkaline (3 pcs.) / > 800 measurements (without backlight)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after 15 minutes of inactivity (30 minutes before a READ measurement)|
|Environment||0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F); 0 to 100% RH (IP67)|
|Weight||380 g (13.4 oz.)|
|Dimensions||142.5 x 102.5 x 50.5 mm (5.6 x 4.0 x 2.0")|
|Ordering Information||HI97742C is supplied with CAL-Check standards, cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvette, (2), scissors, cuvette cleaning cloth, 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate packaged in a rugged thermoformed carrying case.
iris Visible Spectrophotometer - HI801CA$3,640.00