Digital Refractometer for Potential Alcohol (% V/V) Analysis in Wine, Must and Juice According to EEC - HI96816
The HI96816 is a rugged, portable digital refractometer designed for potential alcohol measurement (% V/V) of wine, juice and must according to the European Economic Community Commission Regulation No 2676/90. The HI96816 features simple two-button operation and has a high accuracy of 0.2% V/V potential alcohol. All readings are automatically compensated for temperature variations according to the ICUMSA Methods Book standard and displayed within a 1.5 second response time. The sealed flint glass prism and stainless steel well are easy to clean. Just wipe with a soft cloth in preparation for the next sample.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μL)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
The HI96816 Digital Wine Refractometer has a potential alcohol curve is based on the tables found in the European Economic Community Commission Regulation No 2676/90 of 17 September 1990, Determining Community Methods for the Analysis of Wine and International Organization of Vine and Wine (OIV). The potential alcohol curve is based on the following equation:
Potential alcohol %V/V = g/L of Sugar / 16.83
- Designed for determining potential alcohol in wine juice and must
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- 4.9 to 56.8 %V/V range with a ±0.2 % V/V accuracy
The accuracy of the HI96816 can be confirmed by preparing a standard % Brix solution. After calibration, a 25% Brix solution is placed in the well and the READ key is continually pressed until the % Brix value is displayed on the primary LCD. The HI96816 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book Standard for a percent by weight sucrose.
Making a Standard % Sucrose Solution
To make a Sucrose Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- Weigh out X grams of high purity sucrose (CAS #: 57-50-1) directly into a beaker.
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
- Note: Solutions above 65% may need to be vigorously stirred or shaken and heated in a water bath to roughly 40°C (104°F). Remove solution when sucrose has dissolved and allow to cool before use.
|Sucrose (g)||Water (g)||Total (g)||25.000||75.000||100.000|
The HI96816 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96816 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the accuracy of refractometry readings, so the use of temperature compensation is highly recommended for reliable results. The HI96816 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with European Economic Community Commission Regulation No 2676/90 of 17 September 1990, Determining Community Methods for the Analysis of Wine and International Organization of Vine and Wine (OIV).
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
Stainless steel sample well
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
|Product Name||Digital Refractometer for Potential Alcohol (% V/V) Analysis in Wine, Must and Juice According to EEC - HI96816|
|Sugar Content Range||4.9 to 56.8 % V/V Potential Alcohol; 10 to 75% Brix*|
|Sugar Content Resolution||0.1 % V/V Potential Alcohol|
|Sugar Content Accuracy||±0.2 % V/V Potential Alcohol|
|Temperature Range||0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F)|
|Temperature Resolution||0.1°C (0.1°F)|
|Temperature Accuracy||±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F)|
|Temperature Compensation||automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after three minutes of inactivity|
|Battery Type/Life||9V / approximately 5000 readings|
|Dimensions||192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”)|
|Weight||420 g (14.8 oz.)|
|Refractometer Light Source||yellow LED|
|Minimum Sample Volume||100 μL (to cover prism totally)|
|Sample Cell||stainless steel ring and flint glass prism|
|Measurement Time||approximately 1.5 seconds|
|Ordering Information||HI96816 is supplied with battery and instruction manual|