Digital Refractometer for % Fructose by Weight Analysis - HI96802
The HI96802 is a rugged, portable digital refractometer for food products is designed to report the content of aqueous solutions containing sugar as % fructose by weight (%w/w). The HI96802 report the results with an accuracy of ±0.2%. The operation of the meter is simplified with only two buttons: one button is to calibrate with distilled or deionized water and the other to take a measurement. All readings are automatically compensated for temperature variations according to the ICUMSA Methods Book standard and displayed with a 1.5 second response time. The sealed flint glass prism and stainless steel well are easy to clean. Just wipe with a soft cloth in preparation for the next sample.
Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Sealed stainless steel well with high grade optical prism made of flint glass
Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
The HI96802 Digital Fructose Refractometer converts the refractive index of a food sample to % fructose by weight. This conversion is based on the tables found in the ICUMSA Methods Book (International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis) that documents the changes in refractive index with temperature for a percent by weight fructose solution. The HI96802 is ideal for the analysis of fruits, energy drinks, puddings, soy milk, juices, jam, marmalade, honey, soups, jelly, tofu and condiments. The HI96802 is an easy to use tool for measuring sugar in food samples in the field or in the lab.
- Designed for food sugar analysis
- Temperature Compensation algorithms based on fructose solution
- 0 to 85% fructose by weight range with an accuracy of ± 0.2%
Making a Standard % Fructose Solution
To make a Fructose Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- Weigh out X grams of high purity fructose (CAS #: 57-48-7) directly into a beaker
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
- Note: Solutions above 65% may need to be vigorously stirred or shaken and heated in a water bath to roughly 40°C (104°F). Remove solution when fructose has dissolved and allow to cool before use.
|Fructose % (g/100g)||Fructose (g)||Water (g)||Total (g)|
The HI96802 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96802 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the density of a solution based on the compound that is present. In digital refractometry the use of temperature compensation is necessary for accurate results. The HI96802 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book for a percent by weight fructose solution.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays % Brix and temperature readings simultaneously
Stainless steel sample well
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
|Product Name||Digital Refractometer for % Fructose by Weight Analysis - HI96802|
|Sugar Content Range||0 to 85% mass (% w/w fructose)|
|Sugar Content Resolution||0.1% mass|
|Sugar Content Accuracy||±0.2% mass|
|Temperature Range||0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F)|
|Temperature Resolution||0.1°C (0.1°F)|
|Temperature Accuracy||±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F)|
|Temperature Compensation||automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after three minutes of inactivity|
|Battery Type/Life||9V / approximately 5000 readings|
|Dimensions||192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”)|
|Weight||420 g (14.8 oz.)|
|Refractometer Light Source||yellow LED|
|Minimum Sample Volume||100 μL (to cover prism totally)|
|Sample Cell||stainless steel ring and flint glass prism|
|Measurement Time||approximately 1.5 seconds|
|Ordering Information||HI96802 is supplied with battery and instruction manual|